Monday, October 31, 2011

Self Pity


Self-pity

I've been feeling sorry for myself today. It's a little complicated (or not, maybe) but as soon as I told myself this, which I did, thinking I was being productive in the ending of this pity party, I felt guilty. And that slickened the slide into a worse frame of mind. Someone said to me today that instead of feeling sorry for myself, maybe I was, on another level, being compassionate. Huh. Initially this comment just confused me and as i began to mentally dismiss it as a little, "out there" I paused. Normally this friend has really solid thoughts and ideas. Definitely worth some time to think about it and since I should be washing my windows, I've naturally found time to do something else! So, It's been rolling around in my head collecting bits of this and that and as I roll it off my fingers into cyberspace, this is what I've come up with:
I may not be a starving orphan in a third world, things are still sometimes not fair and sometimes things are just plain sad. So feeling sad isn't out of line. It's just that I'm not very comfortable with being sad. If I were comfortable with it, that would be self pity, hmm?
I guess that's the extent of my profundity, so now to tackle the windows.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Tanya said...

I think it's great to occasionally feel sorry for yourself, even if you're not a starving orphan in a 3rd world country. If you never felt sad, you'd never be able to appreciate joy. I have a good quote for you: "Our sorrows and wounds are only healed when we touch them with compassion." ~Buddha
... of course, when all else fails, clean your windows and know you are loved!