Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hero

A boy doesn't have to go to war to be a hero; he can say he doesn't like pie when he sees there isn't enough to go around.Edgar Watson Howe

A hero is born among a hundred, a wise man is found among a thousand, but an accomplished one might not be found even among a hundred thousand men.Plato

A hero is no braver than an ordinary man, but he is brave five minutes longer.Ralph Waldo Emerson

I like making things for people I love. It makes me think of them while I create. Today I finished a camouflage outfit for my brother. I love that he asked me to make it. I love that he went to the fabric store and picked out the fabric! He's got hunting on the brain. A disease that many men have this time of year. So I've been thinking of him the past few days. He's 3 years younger than me.
Who is your hero? I have a few. One of the biggest is my brother. He's an ordinary guy I suppose to many, but to me he is beyond ordinary. (I could make a joke here, being the big sister, but I"ll refrain) He is such a good dad. I love that he loves his kids. A lot. I know, all dads love their kids, but I have a unique perspective here in watching my little brother be a parent.
I love that his oldest daughter can bring him to tears worrying that he's doing enough for her. I love how he consciously looks for hobbies that he and his oldest son can enjoy together. I love watching him delight in things his six year old daughter says and does. I love that he doesn't squelch her strong personality. I love watching him with the youngest - allowing her to slow him down while she drives with him on the bobcat, or fetching arrows with him while he shoots targets. I love that he loves his wife. And admits that she's smarter and stronger than him in many respects, lol. It takes a man to do that, I think. I love that he was smart enough to realize that he needed this woman and married her.
I love his sensitive heart. Don't get me wrong - he's all manly man, but I've seen him make a point of talking to someone that is shy. I've watched him laugh when an old feller tells him the same story again. I've watched him slow down and walk at my grandma's pace.
I've watched him hold his tongue and be respectful when that is that last thing he wanted to do. And I've watched him weigh his words and say the hard things needing said, too.
I love that he works hard and I love what he's done with his company and the men that work for him. I love his tunnel vision when something is important to him. I love his giggle. I love that he blushes easily. (I know he'll be embarrassed that I wrote this post) He is such a good man. A hero in my eyes.

3 comments:

Michelle said...

What a tribute - wow! Almost makes me wish we were both single! ;-)

Jayne said...

What a sweet tribute Heather. As I read your description of your brother, all I could think was he is the definition of what a man should be. :c)

Unknown said...

Heather - you are too much! Your brother is obviously great - and you are awesome for noticing all his qualities and taking the time to really "see" him and then write such a beautiful tribute to him! You are so thoughtful and loving! I only hope there are other siblings out there that have this amount of respect and love for one another! I can bet that he has learned a lot from watching his big sister! :) We really do have to get together and catch up sometime...