Thursday, March 3, 2011

plant doctoring...

This is a very old plant that was mine about 25 years ago, then it lived with my mum for many years and then after she died came back to live with me. It didn't like living close to my heat register in my living room and became very scraggly and sick. Finally in one of my green moods last week I doctored. First I went to Wal-Mart (yes) and got a young plant that was the same. I think this is a philodendron, but I honestly dont' know for sure - I've never really thought about it much. I like it, that's what counts, hmm? When it's healthy, it grows like crazy. After my Wally Word jaunt, I came home, hacked off the worst parts of it, dug some holes with one of my dinner forks and then pulled apart the new plant into three junks with the roots attached and stuck it in the holes. Covered them up, doused it with some good ol' Orton well water and it looks fabulous, don't you think?
This is what I did with the stuff I hacked off. They root really easily. I've also got some lemon scented geranium(citronella) cuttings in there, too.
While I was in the plant department I smelled something wonderful. Following my nose led me too this Jasmine plant (with a bunch of her buddies). Wow do they smell good. And the smell is good for you too! I couldn't resist and bought her. She lives in my bedroom and my whole room smells good. There are lots of little baby vines popping up I noticed this morning, so I'm going to try to propagate some and see what happens.

On a totally unrelated note -I saw a gopher yesterday!!!!!! I also saw tons of coyote tracks around its hole, so I don't know how long he'll last. I honestly have never been that excited to see a gopher, but seeing this one, I almost hit the ditch. I stopped, rolled down my window and talked to it for about five minutes. Winter insanity, I know.

No comments: