Monday, February 1, 2010

Ouch

So last night I was chatting on the phone and the dog walked by and knocked the plug out of the socket on the wall in my room. So, I got up and went to stick it in and ZAAAPPP!!!! I got zapped big time. Boy it hurt. I went and ran my hand under water for a while and grabbed a frozen yogurt tube (expiry date June 20, 2009!). I didn't think about it all too much until I was off the phone and then I had a good look at the socket, my hand and the cord. No wonder my hand hurt - the zap melted the copper prong bit, blew out behind and in front of the socket and burned my hand in three spots - I could even see where the current exited - it split the skin! I couldn't remove the ice without pain until about 3am. Burns are awful. It could have been so much worse. I totally can't imagine having a bad burn on a large area of my body - the pain would be beyond imagination.


5 comments:

Michelle said...

That is truly scary! Are you going to have it checked out to make sure the wiring is safe? Doesn't seem like something that should happen if everything is properly wired, and even if it WAS, perhaps the wiring in the wall was damaged by this event.

One of my favorite treatments for burns is DMSO (but not on the part where the skin is split - ouch). Often burns that should have blistered have not because of using DMSO.

Deborah said...

Oh my gosh! That is so scary. What happened with the outlet? Do you know? That might have been a fire hazzard because there certainly must have been something wrong with the wiring.

Linda said...

Yikes!! Double yikes!

Jayne said...

Oh my Heather! How scary!!! Hope it's feeling a good bit better today. Burns are just the worst.

Beverly said...

Oh Heather!! Your poor hand! Hope you're feeling better!