Saturday, December 26, 2009

Happy Boxing Day


Well for we "Commonwealth Nations" it is Boxing Day. And St. Stephen's day for my Catholic friends. Or, "find a bigger pair of pants because I ate too much turkey this year AGAIN" day. I may have lucked out in a twisted sort of way - I've got the flu. So, I don't think all I ate the last two days is going to result in any weight gain.
When I used to ask my mum, what is Boxing Day anyway, she said it was the day after Christmas when everyone boxed up all their Christmas trees and decorations. My friend's mum said it was when we all took our boxes back to the store to exchange them. Boxing Day for Canada is like Black Friday for the Americans. Except, perhaps, when we push someone out of line or steal the last great deal, we say, "sorry".
I just looked up on Wikipedia what Boxing Day was, and there are a few ideas. It was a day off for servants and tenants, so they were often given a box of goodies and gifts by their bosses. Also, St. Steven's Day influenced the title perhaps in that churches used to leave out metal boxes for people to leave gifts in that were delivered out on the 26th.
I didn't do any of the traditional Boxing Day events - shopping, or boxing up decorations or delivering gifts to the poor. Instead I got quite intimate with the couch and the toilet today. (Sorry for that mental picture, folks). I've got a wee fever now, which is why I felt creative enough to attempt a post. Cheers, all - hope you had a lovely Boxing Day.


2 comments:

Deborah said...

I'm sorry you are sick. I hope you feel better soon!

Joanne said...

Hope you are feeling better soon!