Saturday, February 19, 2011

Sad news

Well before bed, the little one was up, making a racket, wandering around and attempting to run from me. I did end up going to the barn and trying to milk some ewes - in the dark. I didn't get much - I even tried the goat. But, I managed about 2 oz all told. She sucked it back, had another nap and was raring to go. So I put another sweater on her and put her back out in the barn under the heat lamps. Sadly this morning, I found her outside the barn, dead. I was so discouraged. And I felt so guilty. I went through a bunch of 'should-a's, but it was pointless. I did discover last night, though that her mamma didn't have a lot of milk, and she was a twin. Which explained why she was weak enough to get hypothermic in the first place. A tough reality. The hardest part of this life as a shepherdess.

4 comments:

Cicero Sings said...

Aw, icwas so hoping for a happier outcome.

As for those should-as -- just can't go there -- useless self torment

Michelle said...

You did your best, Heather. I'm sorry it ended this way.

Jayne said...

Awwww... I'm so sorry to hear that Heather. You did your best by her.

crosscribe said...

Poor little dear! *hugs* You did all you could do, so don't beat yourself up. Like you said, it's the hard part of being a shepherdess.