Saturday, October 2, 2010

Top Flight


[pur-suh-veer-uhns]
(n.) Steady persistence in a course of action, a purpose, a state, etc., esp. in spite of difficulties, obstacles, or discouragement.

Last night I was listening to, As It Happens, on CBC radio (Canada's version of the BBC or NPR) and they had this amazing story about the Red Knot. It's a bird in the sandpiper family. They're not very big - like 6 oz. in weight, 9 inches long with a wing span of about 20 inches. (I know, we're metric in Canada, but inches is still easier). They're known for flying incredible distances. They winter in South America and breed in the Canadian Arctic. Pretty far. Well, they've put little geolocaters on some of these birds and they clocked one of these little guys flying NONSTOP for 5000 miles. How many consecutive marathons would that be? I ran to the end of the pasture today and I'm still tired. I looked up some stuff on the 'net about these little guys and I found out, "
Analyzing the year-long geolocator data, researchers now know that the same bird that flew nearly 5,000 miles non-stop for six days also covered one of the longest recorded distances in a year of any bird species: 16,600 miles (26,700 kilometers)". That quote is from here. I am just so impressed by that little bird.

1 comment:

Jayne said...

Facts like that are simply amazing to me too Heather. You almost can't even imagine it's true!