Wednesday, October 6, 2010

My Winter Garden

I am so blessed to have this bank of windows on the south side of my house. It provides so much light and heat that help beat the blahs of a Canadian winter, plus I can do a bit of winter gardening. Funny - I never even considered such a thing possible - never even heard the term until recently while reading a blog from someone in Florida.
On a frosty morning I'll always find the cats on the dog house roof - warming up.
The plant on the left is a type of Wandering Jew, the one in the middle I always forget the name of, and on the right is a Lemon Scented Geranium (Citronella). The middle one is so cool - it gets little fuschia coloured flowers several times a year.
I just brought in this double flowering Chamomile (with a little sprig of Chocolate Mint growing in it - it really tastes like chocolate mint) in from the garden yesterday. Chamomile is one of my all time favourite scents. I'm hoping it will flavour the air of my sunporch.
More Citronella, plus I've started some more chamomile and some Skullcap.
More chamomile and some lavender. On the floor peeking into the bottom right of the photo is lemon balm - I love it in ice tea.

3 comments:

Deborah said...

Yay for winter gardens! I plan to harvest peppers today and my tomatoes are in flower. I planted beets a couple days ago and set out cabbage, broccoli and brussel sprouts. I'm hoping to prepare another area for salad greens soon.

Heather said...

Now THAT's a winter garden!

Jayne said...

What a great spot Heather! I can just feel the warm sunshine coming through those windows!