Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Bible Study - an invitation

I've always struggled with being told what to do and what to believe. I like/need/want to find out for my own self. So that's what I did with the Bible. It's been an interesting journey, let me tell you. There are LOTS of people who like/need/want to tell you what it says and what you should believe about it. It's been tempting for me to just be lazy and take what they say, but eventually I just have to look for myself. I really really enjoy the process of studying the Bible. I'd taken a break from it for a while and have been craving, "getting into it", again. It's such a good book. But, don't believe my word for it, lol. If you want, some friends of different faiths and backgrounds are starting to get together once a week for a live chat and then a continuous 'whenever you want to contribute' discussion board, come and join us. Don't take other people's word(s) for it - see for your own self what it says. It's pretty cool. I like it and I believe what it says and am studying from that point of view. Not everyone does or is, but they have the, "guts" or, independence, or whatever to check it out. I was going to say I don't have an agenda here, but I do. I just get frustrated of our, 'believe whatever the tv feeds you mentality' and I wish more people would have a stronger back bone. I wonder what society would be like then? I don't have a need for people to believe what I do. At all. Life is more fun, actually, when they don't. But it IS fun when we all try to discover and learn things for ourselves. Anyways. Here is your official invitation. It's a pretty friendly group. No rules other than to be nice. No need for big commitment. Come or don't. Come sometimes or all the time. It would be fun if you'd come. What a cool way to get to know other people! We've just started studying the book of John. If you don't have a Bible, just go to BibleGateway and you can read pretty much any version online. You can even listen to it :o). I like to go there, print off what I'm studying and then I can mark it up and write my questions and statements etc on the page. I'm a real marker-upper.
We're meeting on Tuesday evenings at 8:30pmEasternTime (6:30Mountain, and everyone else has to figure out their own time, lol) for the live chat. We do it via Yahoo Messenger, so it's easy. (Really). And then the discussion board is a Yahoo group called, ChristianArtisansBibleStudy. You don't have to be Christian, or an artisan :o). Just go to Yahoo Groups and then type in ChristianArtisansBibleStudy and choose the, 'join this group!'. You can see what we are studying and talking about, talk about what you are learning, etc. We've only just started, so you haven't missed anything yet. (yet!) If you want to do the live chat, just contact me via email (hupernicao@yahoo.ca) or go to the group to see instructions. See you around.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Shucks; 5:30 in the evening is never a time I can have uninterrupted here, and I don't do well with interruptions.

Jayne said...

I think it's great that you all are doing this Heather. The Bible has been hijacked by so many, and should always be taken into context by the reader I think. Have fun!

Deborah said...

I'm excited about your bible study. I can't commit to a regular time of meeting at this point with young children and my husband away while we sell our house, but I'm hoping your study will be around for awhile and I can join eventually.

Anonymous said...

Sounds interesting. I never been in a chat room before. We used to have a bible study we went to that involved a lot of different beliefs. It was great because it made you really take a hard look at not only what you believed but what the word said about what you believed.